Monday, March 9, 2015

Step Five - USE YOUR HANDS


     It may sound ridiculous, but I believe working with your hands is extremely important! Please read the article and watch the video at http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-report/major-depression-resource-center/sanjay-gupta-using-your-hands-to-heal-your-head.aspx for more information.
     At one time, I loved to draw and do paint-by-number pictures and I'd color pictures, usually with coloring pencils. I was much happier then and now I'm beginning to realize why. The couple in the video above says that 60% of your brain is dedicated to your hands!
     Somewhere along the years, I became more interested in computers and, most recently, playing games on my cell phone. I still like to make house plans (on graph paper), but even that "artistic endeavor" tends to go into my Sims 3 game more often than not. Now, I want to make friends with the younger part of me and start doing some of my older hobbies.
     I'm not ever going to be famous for any of the things I can do with my hands, except hopefully writing, but why would I want to be a well-known artist when I am anxious around crowds?
     The thing is, our hands are unique. No other animal has hands like ours. A chimp or gorilla would be the closest, but I don't think you can teach either one of them how to knit or sew. We can learn to do amazing things with our hands!
     There are millions of things you can choose from -- knitting or crochet, gardening, sewing, woodworking, paint artistically, paint your walls, build a birdhouse or dollhouse, color a picture, draw, fix your car or something else around the house, just to name a few. I suggest trying several things! Find two, three or more things you like to do.
     Those of you with ADD or ADHD probably have trouble with "small motor skills"; but don't worry. Just don't reach for the scissors or the million piece jigsaw puzzle. Try planting a garden, painting a wall, building furniture, or think of something else you want to try. Even painting graffiti will work to some degree but I don't want you to be arrested. Ask around about places that allow "tagging" and/or ask people if they know anyone that might want a mural painted.
     Personally, I want to learn how to knit or crochet and/or how to make pottery. One is for small motor skills and the other, not so much. I also want to rent a garden spot and raise a vegetable garden -- this year -- for the first time in 40 (?) years! If I add one, two, or all of these to painting, drawing and/or coloring, these activities will greatly increase my happiness and most likely help me socialize with less fear or anxiety. I bet I'd have a lot less trouble with twisting my hair or other "nervous habits" as well!
     How about it? What do you want to do with your hands?




   

No comments:

Post a Comment