Sunday, January 18, 2015

Step Three -- BE ACTIVE!

Step 3:  You MUST Exercise!

     OK, OK. Stop cursing, yelling, groaning or asking if I've lost my mind. Come on, please stop.
     I bet you've seen this bit of advice about 100 million times and you've asked one or more of the following questions:
ñ How can I exercise if I'm depressed and/or anxious?
ñ How can I exercise if I'm in pain or if walking causes pain?
ñ How can I exercise if I'm so fat I lose my breath after 5 or 10 minutes?
    Welcome to my world! I have asked ALL of those questions and moaned, groaned or even cried when someone suggested that one word – Exercise.
    It's July of 2011 as I'm writing this and if someone had told me even a year ago that I would feel better after I exercised, I would have thought they were crazy, demented and/or wanted to see me in more pain.
    But, it's true! I have been going to a local gym for a little over a month and I not only feel better after I go, but I can usually walk with less pain!
    On top of less pain in my right knee, I come away from exercise with less depression, less anxiety and more self-esteem!


Follow-Up Written on January 18, 2015

     Since 2011, I've realized that not everyone is capable of walking or working out on machines. If you are paralyzed or have another problem that keeps you from moving by yourself, I beg you to still go outside! Have a friend, relative, and/or rehab therapist take care of your muscles, preferably away from home. That way you can breathe in some fresh air and, if possible, soak up some sunshine! Spend at least fifteen minutes outside every day.  
     You might be surprised how much just going outside will make you feel better, especially if it’s sunny. Studies have shown that more sunshine = less suicidal thoughts!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment